Outline of 2013 Auction Sculpture/Design Competition
This sculpture/design competition has been established in order to facilitate interaction between the KCAI students and the architectural and design industry. In an attempt to enrich the city with new artworks, gain professional experience and showcase their emerging talent, winningstudents will work along side experts in the field in order to design, model and carry out the fabrication of their artwork in a collaborative format.
If the sculpture will be outdoors it must be constructed to withstand the elements of the four seasons. The sculpture may be mounted on an existing rock outcropping or be tall enough to still be interpreted as a sculpture with one feet of snow on the ground.
The sculpture must have a minimum life span of 25 years.
The sculpture should not require any ongoing maintenance.
The sculpture will be located in an area that is used by the general public. Subject matter should be suitable for a viewing audience of all ages.
The sculpture should have no sharp edges and be mounted securely.
The sculpture must be able to withstand touching and handling by the public.
Artists may submit more than one proposal but cannot have more than one sculpture chosen by the jury.
Proposals must include:
- artist’s statement of interest or vision statement for the sculpture,
- title of sculpture,
- two drawings or photographs of the sculpture (one from each side)
- dimensions of the sculpture
- description of materials to be used in construction
- description of the method of installation
- description of the foundation required to support the sculpture
- resume or Curriculum Vitae
- phone and email
- Email Call for entires to all sophomore, junior, and senior KCAI students
- Presentation by Michael Wickerson, James Stuelke, and Jill Anthony to KCAI students in Irving Amphitheater
- Tours of A. Zahner Company in regards to facility and material needs must be coordinated by individual KCAI departments through the A. Zahner Company.
December 12th, 2012
- By 3:00 PM on December 12, 2012 Proposals must be:
- Delivered directly to A. Zahner Company at 1400 East 9th Street, Kansas City, MO 64106.
- Received at A. Zahner Company through postal mail.
- ALL MATERIALS MUST BE IN HARDCOPY/PAPER FORM, NO DIGITAL APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED
- Self addressed stamped envelopes must be included in application package if the artist wants the drawings returned.
- Top three proposals are selected by initial jury
- Stipends will be sent to the shortlisted chosen student entries
- Students begin production on models and maquettes
Jan. 28th, 2013
- Shortlisted students must present their models to the jury in the Vanderslice reception room at KCAI for approx. 10 minutes each.
- Jury selects winning entry
- Feb.- May, 2013
- Selected student assists in the fabrication of winning entry at A.Zahner Company.
Late May 2013
- Finished Sculpture is installed for KCAI Art Auction
Winning artists will:
Not be responsible for costs incurred in the construction of the sculpture;
Not be responsible for the transportation of the sculpture to the site;
Be willing to allow use of pictures of the sculpture for the promotion of the project.
The jury reserves the right to reject any or all of the proposals at their discretion.
Winning artists will be notified by phone. Artists whose work is not chosen will receive notification by email.
Sketches and drawings must have a self-addressed stamped envelope if materials need to be returned.
Questions? Contact Brigette Chirpich, Director of Special Events: email@example.com